Henry D. Wharton, eldest son of Charles Doughty Wharton, Sr., was born in Sunbury Nov. 28, 1826. He learned the trade of printer under Colonel Best, then editor of the Intelligencer, at Danville, Pa., and for several years was employed in the office of the Sunbury American, where he was working when the Civil war broke out. One of the first to respond to the call for volunteers, he went to the front April 23, 1861, as a member of Company F (Capt. Charles J. Bruner), 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Regiment, with which he served his term of three months. At its expiration he enlisted for three years in Company C (Capt. J. P.S. Gobin), 47th Regiment, and he served to the close of the war, having reenlisted at the end of the three years, in the same command. His record throughout was one of faithful and honorable service. At the close of the war Mr. Wharton resumed his trade, having been given a position in the government printing office at Washington. Several years later he was transferred thence to the interior department, afterward to the subtreasury department in Philadelphia and eventually to a position in the United States mint in that city, which he was holding at the time of his death, Feb. 1, 1898. However, he was not in the government service continuously throughout this period. Under Cleveland's administration be shared the fate of many Republicans, being removed from office, but he was reinstated during McKinley's second term. He spent various periods in Sunbury between his terms of service in the government employ, and for several years was employed as clerk in the office of Hon. J. B. Packer, for whom he had the warmest friendship and admiration. He had many friends in the borough, being a man of kindly disposition and genial manners, always cordial in his meetings with friends and acquaintances. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and during his residence in Sunbury identified with the church choir, of which be was an interested and faithful member. A few years before his death, while engaged at a manufacturing plant in Philadelphia, he was knocked down and clubbed by a robber, his injuries being so severe that he never wholly recovered from the effect. He was at work in the mint, however, up to within a few days of his decease. Mr. Wharton was a prominent member of G.A.R. Post No. 2, of Philadelphia, in which body he had high standing. He was buried in Monument cemetery. He was twice married, but left no children.