Born in 1799, Thomas Lloyd married Sarah Ann Smith June 30, 1840. The marriage was performed by Rev. Dr. Morton in Philadelphia. Sarah Ann was born to Richard Rodman Smith and Ann Emlen Howell October 11, 1800. Before her death March 17, 1846, she had two daughters:
Since Sarah Ann was forty at the time of her marriage it is concievable that she was married before or that Thomas was but I have no record of any other marriages. Both girls married into very interesting families.
THE DAUGHTERS OF THOMAS LLOYD AND SARAH ANN WHARTON
Lucy married into one of Philadelphia's most prominent families the Drexels. From America's Successful Men of Affairs: An Encyclopedia of Contemporaneous Biography, Volume I D Edmund Driggs page 204
JOSEPH WILHELM DREXEL, banker, born in Philadelphia, Jan. 24, 1831, died in New York city, March 25, 1888. His father was Francis M. Drexel, the banker. Joseph was educated in the high school of his native city, and was soon admitted to the bank of Drexel & Co. Shortly afterward, he engaged in business for himself in Chicago. Owing to his popularity there, one of that city's finest avenues, the Drexel Boulevard, was named after him. After his father's death, he returned to Philadelphia, and in 1871, with Junius S. Morgan, of London, established in New York city the banking house of Drexel, Morgan & Co., becoming its head. He was also at the head of the Paris house of Drexel, Harjes & Co., and had an interest in The Philadelphia Public Ledger. He retired from business in 1876, with a large fortune. Esteemed as was Mr. Drexel among his business associates, it is not as a mere amasser of wealth that his memory will endure. Highly cultivated, and deeply interested in musical and artistic affairs, and in charities, he was closely connected with The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and made liberal gifts to that institution, among them being some early Italian paintings, collections of Egyptian casts, a collection of ancient musical instruments, and a painting called "Harpsichord." He owned a large and valuable library of books relating to music, which he bequeathed to the Lenox Library, was [p.204] president of The Philharmonic Society, and a director of The Metropolitan Opera House, a trustee of The Bartholdi Statue Fund, and treasurer of The Cancer Hospital. He did much to make The American Museum of Natural History a complete institution of its kind. Mr. Drexel's character and financial strength led to his election as director of The Knickerbocker Trust Co., The American Bank Note Co., The Western Car Co., The Model Tenement House Co., and The Metropolitan Trust Co. He owned a large tract of land in Maryland, and called it "Klej Grange," the name being formed from the initials of his four daughters' names. Having taught poor families how to farm at this place, he would send them West. He kept an agent at the Tombs in New York city to look after the families of poor convicts, and contributed largely to the support of the Episcopal Church. He was married in 1865 to Lucy, daughter of Thomas Lloyd Wharton, and his wife and four daughters survived him, the latter being Katharine, wife of Dr. Penrose, of Philadelphia; Lucy, wife of Eric B. Dahlgren; Elizabeth, wife of John Winton Dahlgren; and Josephine Wharton Drexel.
From The 20th Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans, Vol. 3, p.310
Drexel, Joseph Wilhelm, philanthropist, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., Jan. 24, 1833; son of Francis Martin Drexel. He was educated in the Philadelphia high school and by European travel. He entered his father's banking house when a boy and learned the business, retiring from the banking houses of Drexel & Co., and of Drexel, Morgan & Co., of which he was a partner, in 1876. He made New York his residence and was chairman of the sanitary commission, commissioner of the board of education, trustee of the Metropolitan museum of art, and of the National academy of sciences, director of the Metropolitan opera house, president of the New York philharmonic society, and a member of the American geographical society, of the New York historical society, and of the Society for the improvement of the condition of the poor. He originated and made practical demonstrations of various projects for bettering the condition of the poor, including the purchase and division into small farms of 6000 acres of land in Maryland and 7000 acres in Michigan, which were improved by Mr. Drexel, and the land and houses thereon sold to actual settlers at a low cost and on easy terms of payment. These experiments resulted in building up flourishing settlements with schools, churches, libraries and music halls. He purchased a 200-acre farm in New Jersey, near New York city, where he furnished work for the tramp class, feeding, clothing and teaching them the business of farming until other employment could be procured. He spent $15,000 in the experiment of free coffee houses in New York city, without results of any perceivable benefit to the persons he sought to help. His distribution of free tickets for coal to the poor was also a failure, but these experiments were valuable as directing the charitably inclined toward practical methods. He gave his cottage home at Mt. McGregor, N.Y., to General Grant as an asylum during his illness, and when the great soldier died there, he transferred the estate to the Grand Army of the Republic, to be kept as a memorial. It is estimated that he spent $50,000 annually in miscellaneous charities. He gave his collection of Italian paintings, coins, casts and musical instruments to the Metropolitan museum of art, and a valuable painting to the state of New York, to be hung in the executive mansion, [p.311] Albany. He was married to Lucy, daughter of Thomas Lloyd and Sarah Ann (Smith) Wharton. He died in New York city, March 25, 1888.
Lucy died in 1912. After Joseph's death she purchased Pen Ryn Mansion in Bensalem, Pa. in 1893 from Abram Bickley , her cousin and did an extensive expansion of the property.
Frances went as far west as any Wharton in the 19th century ending up at Ft. Russell, Wyoming Territory where she died January 19, 1873. On February 23, 1864 she married Guy Vernor Henry. They had two children Sarah born 1867 and Thomas Lloyd born 1872. Guy Vernor was a military man who took Frances to Wyoming. The entry below shows only his second wife.
From, The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume V H, Henry, James
HENRY, Guy Vernor, soldier, was born in Fort Smith, Indian Territory, March 9, 1839; son of Maj. William Seton and Arietta (Livingston) Henry; grandson of Judge Henry of Albany; great grandson of Daniel D. Tompkins, governor of New York and Vice-President of the United States; and also great grandson of the Hon. Smith Thompson (1768-1843). His father (1816-1851) was a soldier in the U.S. army during the Mexican war and was promoted captain and brevetted major for gallantry at Monterey. Guy was graduated at the U.S. military academy in May, 1861; assigned to the 1st artillery as 2d lieutenant, May 6, 1861; promoted 1st lieutenant, May 14, 1861; captain, Dec. 1, 1865; transferred to the 3d cavalry, Dec. 15, 1870; promoted major, 9th cavalry, June 26, 1881; lieutenant-colonel, 7th cavalry, Jan. 30, 1892; transferred to the 5th cavalry, Sept. 22, 1894; and to the 3d cavalry, Oct. 19, 1895. He served in the civil war, beginning with the first battle of Bull Run, where he was an aide on General McDowell's staff. He then went south with the expedition to Port Royal under General Hunter and was conspicuous at Key West, at Hilton Head and in the battle of Pocotaligo, S.C. He commanded a battalion in the advance on Charleston in 1863; was acting chief of artillery in the bombardment of Fort Sumter from June to November, 1863; and was colonel of the 40th Massachnsetts volunteers from Nov. 9, 1863, to 1864, making himself conspicuous at the battle of Cold Harbor, Va., June 1, 1864. He commanded a brigade in the Army of the James from Oct. 28, 1864 to June 30, 1865, when he was mustered out of the volunteer service. In 1898 he was promoted colonel of the 10th U.S. cavalry (colored), and on June 21 was advanced to the command of a brigade at Camp Alger. He was brevetted captain, Oct. 22, 1862, for services in action near Pocotaligo river, S.C.; major, Feb. 20, 1864, for services in the battle of Olustee, Fla., lieutenant-colonel, Sept. 29, 1864, for services in front of Petersburg, Va.; colonel, March 13, 1865, for services during the war; brigadier-general, Feb. 27, 1890, for services in action against the Indians on Rosebud creek, Montana, June 17, 1876, where he was severely wounded; and brigadier-general of volunteers, Oct. 28, 1864, for services during the campaign in front of Petersburg, Va. He was the recipient of a medal of honor from congress "for noteworthy and conspicuous gallantry while colonel of the 40th Massachusetts volunteers, leading the assaults of his brigade upon the enemy's works at Cold Harbor,Va., June 1, 1864, where he had two horses shot under him, one while in the act of leaping over the breastworks of the enemy." In 1898 as colonel of the 10th U.S. cavalry he distinguished himself in the Santiago campaign and commanded a brigade under General Miles in the Porto Rico campaign. On the cession of Porto Rico to the United States he succeeded Gen. John R. Brooke as governor-general, taking the post, Dec. 8, 1898, and relinquishing it May 9, 1899. He was made a major-general of volunteers in December, 1898, and promoted brigadier-general in the regular army, Oct. 11, 1898, to fill the vacancy caused by the retirement of Gen. John J. Coppinger. He was married in 1874 to Julia F., daughter of David D. MeNair of Dansville, N.Y. Their son, Guy Vernor, Jr., became a major in the 96th Massachusetts infantry, and in 1900 was stationed in the Philippines. On Oct. 18, 1899, General Henry was assigned to the department of the Missouri at Omaha, Neb., but his last illness prevented his entering upon the new position. He is the author of Military Records of Civilian Appointees in the United States Army (1869-73). He died in New York city, Oct. 27, 1899.